MODULE 1 - THE MEDIA UNIVERSE
SESSION 2 : NEW MEDIAEvaluation
SESSION 2 : NEW MEDIA
SKILLS TO LEARN
- I am able to tell the difference between traditional media and new media.
- I understand how social media have transformed the media landscape.
- I understand the risks and opportunities of ‘citizen media’ and of young people using the internet.
- I am aware of how algorithms influence what we see on the internet.
- I understand how ‘filter bubbles’ work and I know the internet habits to counteract them.
Q1: Traditional media include:
- A: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok.
- B: Television.
- C: Twitter.
- D: Radio.
Q2: Social media is different from traditional media because:
- A: Social media defined by collaboration.
- B: Users of social media are serious professionals.
- C: Social media are based on interaction.
- D: Social media can spread high-quality news to a maximum number of people.
Q3: The concept of ‘citizen journalism’ refers to:
- A: A practice that makes every social media user a powerful producer of news.
- B: The responsibility social media users demonstrate at all times.
- C: The importance of teaching journalists the concepts of free speech and freedom of the press.
- D: The journalism training provided to every social media user.
Q4: Tech giants use algorithms to:
- A: Offer each user the most suitable content.
- B: Turn users’ clicks, likes, and purchases into profits.
- C: Check information circulating on social media.
- D: Influence user behaviour for commercial purposes.
Q5: When users are in a ‘filter bubble’, this means:
- A: They can access a large number of filters to improve their photos and videos.
- B: That they only go to websites containing fake news.
- C: That they only have access to one type of information because of the algorithms used by tech giants.
- D: That they spend too much time online.
Q6: The internet’s initial promise was to:
- A: Provide users with access to personalised content.
- B: Promote emancipation and freedom for its users.
- C: Allow users to access new consumer products through ads.
- D: Isolate users and test their critical thinking skills.
- Q1: B, D
- Q2: A, C
- Q3: D
- Q4: A
- Q5: C
- Q6: B