MODULE 1 - THE MEDIA UNIVERSE
SESSION 2 : NEW MEDIAPractical activities
ACTIVITY 2 – The disinformation race
One smartphone per group
- Test students’ ability to quickly check dubious information
- Identify which information should be checked
- Learn the steps to checking information and sources
The disinformation race is a stimulating activity given that it is a game of speed in which students compete against one another.
With its easy preparation, it shows students how simple it is to carry out fact-checking.
- Form groups of 3 to 4 participants.
- Ask participants to go through their social media feeds until they find information that requires checking.
- Ask them to discuss how to check the information.
- Finally, see who can check it the fastest.
The Balkan context
For this activity, refer to the ‘Independent media’ topic sheet, which details the global context of the rise of fake news while also providing a range of independent media outlets.