MODULE 1 - THE MEDIA UNIVERSE
SESSION 1 : FUNCTIONS AND TOOLS OF INFORMATIONEvaluation
SESSION 1 : FUNCTIONS AND TOOLS OF INFORMATION
SKILLS TO LEARN
- I know what information and media are.
- I can name my country’s main media outlets.
- I am familiar with the information cycle.
- I understand the concepts of ‘freedom of expression’ and ‘freedom of the press’ as well as their role in a democratic society.
- I know the major ethical principles of journalism.
- I understand the role of journalists in a democratic society.
Q1: When did the internet and new media emerge?
- A: The 1970s
- B: The 1980s
- C: The 1990s
- D: The 2000s
Q2: In democratic societies, the media are:
- A: A propaganda tool to manipulate the masses
- B: A check on power
- C: A way of broadening the discussion of ideas within a population.
- D: A way of communicating political manifestos during elections.
Q3: Which criterion or criteria should you use to define information/news in the journalistic sense?
- A: The event must have happened less than one week ago.
- B: The event must be reported by at least 4 media outlets.
- C: The reported event must be verified and verifiable.
- D: The reported event does not necessarily have to be of public interest.
Q4: The freedom of expression allows journalists to:
- A: Express what they think freely.
- B: Investigate political leaders.
- C: Share information on social media.
- D: Publish content that encourages discrimination of a group on the basis of their religion.
Q5: The ethical rules journalists must follow include:
- A: The right to alter documents or distort images to convey a message.
- B: The duty to demonstrate critical thinking, precision, and integrity.
- C: The right to work for a public service, institution, or private enterprise.
- D: The right to rectify any information they have shared that proves to be inaccurate.
Q6: The non-governmental organisation that produces the World Press Freedom Ranking is:
- A: UNESCO
- B: The Red Cross
- C: Reporters Without Borders
- D: Doctors Without Borders
- Q1: B
- Q2: B, C, D
- Q3: C
- Q4: A, B, C
- Q5: B, D
- Q6: C